THE PRIVACY AMENDMENT (PRIVATE SECTOR) ACT 2001
Towards the end of 2001, the Federal government enacted changes to privacy law in Australia. Amendments to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“the Privacy Act”) regulate the way in which many private sector organisations, collect, use, disclose, keep secure and manage personal information. The provisions aim to give members of the public greater control over the way information about them is handled, and apply to personal, but not business-related, information. Under the amended Privacy Act, organisations must comply with 10 National Privacy Principles or an approved privacy code. You can find out more about the Privacy Act at www.oaic.gov.au.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Our company mainly collects personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide our clients with information about our products and services
- To manage subscriptions to newsletters and other publications
- To conduct promotions
We only collect personal information when necessary to provide the relevant services or to assist in providing better services. Personal information is normally collected directly from the person it concerns, typically in the following ways:
- As part of the sales process
- As part of a subscription to one of our publications and/or promotions
- On an entry form for a competition or promotion
- Through various forms of contact such as query submissions, product registration forms, trade shows, sale days, events and meetings
A cookie is a small file which is placed on your computer’s hard drive to help analyse web traffic or is used as a means to remember your details. Cookies are designed to improve your experience on the Site. We analyse our web traffic with Google Analytics, this allows us to see how people use this Site so we can make sure it’s meeting your needs or how we could do things better. We use this information for statistical analysis purposes. Through Google Analytics, we do not collect or store your name or address so this information cannot be used to identify who you are.
HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may keep business contact information about you. We only use this information for normal business purposes.
PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell or rent any identifiable personal information about you to any third party without your permission. Where we contract out some of our activities, such as bulk mailing, that involve your personal information, we take reasonable steps so that your personal information is duly protected. We store your information on computer databases as well as in hard copy. We take all reasonable steps to ensure the security and privacy of your information. We take reasonable measures so that your personal information is protected from unauthorised access and misuse.
YOUR RIGHTS OF ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
You can ask us to provide you with access to personal information we hold about you (including for the purpose of advising us of any inaccuracies). We will comply with any such request to the extent required by the Privacy Act. There is no fee for making such a request or for providing access to your personal information. We will endeavour to respond to your request within 30 days.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
Review our TERMS AND CONDITIONS, and you can also contact us to:
- Advise us of any changes to your contact details or other information we may hold
- Complain to us if you believe that your personal privacy has been breached
- Obtain more information about the way we manage personal information that we hold
- Request access to personal information we hold about you
- Ask to be removed from our mailing list
For any queries contact:
SJS Trading Co.
PO Box 226 Yarraville VIC 3013